We’ve made it through our first week of Whole30 eating! 8 days down, 22 to go.
In a nutshell, it’s a 30-day nutritional reset for your body: no dairy, grains, sugar/sweeteners, legumes, alcohol, bad fats, starchy food or nasty additives. After 30 days, a 10-day reintroduction phase allows you to test your body’s relationship with particular foods and make informed eating decisions thereafter.
We are eating meat, seafood, eggs, vegetables, fruit and healthy fats (nuts, avocado, coconut, olives and their oils; clarified pastured butter).
– Buffalo Chicken Lettuce Wraps with Spicy Kale Chips.
– Spiced Tilapia with Crispy, Spicy Coconut Oil Sweet Potato Fries.
– Slow Cooker Lemon Garlic Chicken with Rosemary Roasted Radishes.
– Spicy Sausage Kale Saute.
– Waldorf Salad with an olive oil & lemon juice spiced dressing.
– Chicken Avocado Soup, to which we added a bit of coconut milk to make it creamy.
According to this Whole30 timeline, Week 1 is meant to be a nasty detox, sometimes to the point of flu-like symptoms; not so for us! At night we’ve had headaches, some days we’ve been tired, and there’s been a bit of detox grouchiness around here – beyond that we’re feeling pretty good. They say the severity of your detox directly relates to how much junk you ate before, so this bodes well for our normal eating habits.
Also I may have had a dream in which we found a Whole30-compliant chocolate cake. It was fantastic.